Wednesday 2 September 2015

[ART] Some Pixel Arts Wot I Dun

Thought I'd post some of my pixel art.

I've been practicing and teaching myself pixel art by redrawing sprites from DOS games. I try to use the same restrictions (dimensions and palette) as the originals, but drawn in my own style.

Here we have Commander Keen, Duke Nukem and Mylo Steamwitz.

I omitted the black outlines as I'm not a fan of them, but my versions are shorter than the originals, so they could be added back in without too much trouble. Lack of outlines does mean that the characters may blend in to certain backgrounds, but if I were to redraw all of the graphics I would take that in to account and redesign them to accommodate.

Duke gets a 'tache because badass action dudes have 'taches.
Receeding hairline not visible at this fidelity.
Duke went through several iterations (from right to left). I started off wanting to make him a sort of Hulk Hogan or Roddy Piper 80's wrestler-turned-action-movie guy. Less emphasis on the sexist steroid abuse of modern Duke though and more emphasis on 80's futurism. Side note: I actually drew it before the Hogan debacle and Piper's death.

Anyway, the first one looked too much to me like a mulleted guy with a beer gut. The second version was a bit over-muscled. The third version I think strikes a good balance between the two. 3b is an alternate look that I did for fun. Give him a purple denim cutoff jacket for extra 80's-futuristic emphasis.


As for Mylo, it was just a quick jobbie while I was bored at work. Emphasis on the pot belly. Differentiation between the 5 o'clock shadow bum chin and the rest of his face, unlike the original which is full grey. Blue undershirt added to match the title screen drawing. If I were to animate this I'd try and give him a sort of hopping waddle.

Commander keen is actually the first one of these I tried. I actually went ahead and redrew all of the character and item sprites from Keen 1



I imported them in to the game and was actually pretty happy with how they look in action. The Vorticon (dog alien) jumping and dying animation needs a little work though. Not happy with the pusher robot but I couldn't come up with anything better at the time. I also started on doing the tiles some time last year. Perhaps one day I'll get around to finishing them.

And here is a bonus one I did of Finnegan Fightmans from my first story. Yes I know he looks like Obelix. Unintentional.




No comments:

Post a Comment